Sunday, January 29, 2012

Lalo Intermediate Large Bore Trombone


Instrument Type: Intermediate Large Bore Tenor Trombone
Stencil Model Number: Lalo
Manufacturer Model Number: JinBao ???
Reference Model: Yamaha YSL-446
Price: $149.50
Purchased From: eBay
Purchase Date: November 29, 2011
Bore Size (inch): 0.525
Bell Size (inch): 8.5
Material: 22 Gauge Brass


This was a trombone that I ACCIDENTALLY bought on eBay. I placed a bid of around $100 and actually won the auction. The instrument was brand new, and the case is actually fairly nice. The fit and finish of the horn is pretty good. Since it is a copy of an intermediate model horn, I wasn't expecting it to have a ton of flair. The horn is an exact copy of the Yamaha 446...even down to the string linkage(See Figure 4), and gold slide receiver(See Figure 10).

The trombone actually plays pretty well. It has a nice solid tone, and the rotor is fairly smooth. The slide has good action with no hang ups. While I don't think I would chose this particular horn for my everyday use, it is nice to have around for a medium bore change of pace. If I'm ever in an ensemble of players with smaller equipment, then I'd use this horn. Having this trombone gives me the flexibility in my equipment that I wanted without breaking the bank.

When it is all said and done, for $150 this trombone was a good investment to add a medium bore trombone to the mix.

Now, on to the pics:

 Figure 1. In the Case


 Figure 2. Side View


 Figure 3. Attachment Tubing


 Figure 4. String Linkage


 Figure 5. Side View


 Figure 6. Rotor


 Figure 7. Bottom


 Figure 8. Lever


 Figure 9. Bell Etching


Figure 10. Slide Receiver

No comments:

Post a Comment